The starter continues to rise after each feeding, doubling in height. If you look closely here, you can just see the line to which the starter rose before expending its gases and falling again.
By the time I opened the jar, the top was mostly flat, without bubbles, but underneath was spongy and fluffy.
Yesterday, I mentioned I had a sponge rising for whole wheat English muffins. The muffins turned out okay, not as tender on the inside as I would like, but tasty. I will definitely try this recipe again, in hopes of getting it right.
My thanks to Jami of An Oregon Cottage for this recipe, to which I added a teaspoon cinnamon and three-quarter cup red flame raisins.
I just may try these again in a couple of days. The sponge rose so well from the discarded starter, evidence of lots of yeastie beasties feeding and burping. In just two days, I can try my first loaf.